This weekend, the Chinese public mourned the passing of Yuan Longping, the Chinese agronomist whose scientific breakthroughs in rice development helped to usher in the Green Revolution that ended famine in large parts of the...
by Sophie Beach | Jun 28, 2010
John Pomfret writes in the Washington Post: Centuries after it led the world in technological prowess — think gunpowder, irrigation and the printed word — China has barged back into the ranks of the great powers in...
by Sophie Beach | Jan 6, 2010
The New York Times reports on Chinese scientists who have made successful careers for themselves in the U.S. but choose to return to China after receiving generous incentive packages from the government: Determined to reverse...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods