Anyone who has boarded an airplane in the last 20 years knows what stands between arrival at the terminal and waiting at the gate: shoes off, laptops out, water bottles emptied …. In China, similar checkpoints also await railway...
by Samuel Wade | Sep 28, 2011
A former U.S. Marine has been charged with attempting to sell information to Chinese authorities while working as a security guard at an American consulate. From Reuters: Bryan Underwood, 31, was arrested in Los Angeles after...
by Sophie Beach | Sep 6, 2009
AP reports on the beating of a journalist by security guards while investigating a death in Guangzhou: A Chinese journalist was checking out a tip that police had discovered a woman’s body this week when he was stopped by...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods