While Chen Guangcheng is safe in New York, and the local government’s former grip on his home village has, for now, relaxed, the consequences of his escape continue to be felt far beyond Dongshigu. In Beijing, activist Hu...
by Samuel Wade | Sep 28, 2011
A former U.S. Marine has been charged with attempting to sell information to Chinese authorities while working as a security guard at an American consulate. From Reuters: Bryan Underwood, 31, was arrested in Los Angeles after...
by Sophie Beach | Sep 6, 2009
AP reports on the beating of a journalist by security guards while investigating a death in Guangzhou: A Chinese journalist was checking out a tip that police had discovered a woman’s body this week when he was stopped by...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – US sharply criticises China in annual human rights review, the Biden administration’s first public assessment of Beijing’s record
- New York Times – How China’s Outrage Machine Kicked Up a Storm Over H&M
- HRW – People in China Left Wondering, ‘What Happened in Xinjiang?’
- The Philadelphia Inquirer – China steps up online controls with new rule for bloggers
- Mind Matters – For Five Days There Was Free Expression in China