A suicide bombing in a rural Guangdong village left five dead and five injured on Monday, March 22. A swiftly imposed media blackout left details of the incident vague but it seems that the attacker, a 59-year-old local, was...
by Samuel Wade | Feb 21, 2013
In the week since news emerged of the 100th Tibetan self-immolation within China’s borders since 2009, four more cases have been reported. Most recently, according to Dharamsala-based Phayul.com, a pair of teenaged former...
by Sophie Beach | May 10, 2012
Yet another dispute over reclaimed property has ended violently in Kunming as a woman set off a bomb, killing herself and two others and injuring fourteen, in anger over losing her home. From the BBC: At least 14 people were...
by Sophie Beach | Apr 17, 2007
AFP reports that a disgruntled farmer in Yunnan killed one official and injured several others in a suicide bombing: Yue Xiaobao detonated explosives strapped to his body as he approached officials from Lishan village of Yunnan province on Sunday afternoon, the Beijing Times reported. The attack came after village leaders had destroyed Yue’s crop and […]
CDT in the News
- Hindustan Times – Chinese Communist party wing mocks India’s Covid crisis on social media
- POLITICO – Feminists thwarting China’s population goals
- Forum 2000 – Xiao Qiang: Digital authoritarianism in China undermines democratic values
- NYT – Women Are Battling China’s Angry Trolls. The Trolls Are Winning
- The Jamestown Foundation – Hong Kong Cracks Down on National Security Imperatives Amid Electoral Reforms