As China’s tea farmers look to coffee for more profits, the Los Angeles Times reports the Yunnan provincial government plans to increase the production of coffee to 200,000 tons by 2020: “My sole income depends on...
by Sophie Beach | Jan 17, 2009
The New York Times looks at the impact in Menghai County, Yunnan Province, of the collapse of the pu’er tea market: A pleasantly aromatic beverage that promoters claim reduces cholesterol and cures hangovers, Pu’er became...
by Max Woodworth | Oct 29, 2005
From The Times of India: A bizarre but fashionable concoction of Scotch and green tea in an economically resurgent China has driven the sale of the finest whiskies of Scotland to an all-time high. Traditional Scotch dealers didn’t ever imagine their drink would be put to such use, but they are not complaining, not after […]
CDT in the News
- SCMP – US sharply criticises China in annual human rights review, the Biden administration’s first public assessment of Beijing’s record
- New York Times – How China’s Outrage Machine Kicked Up a Storm Over H&M
- HRW – People in China Left Wondering, ‘What Happened in Xinjiang?’
- The Philadelphia Inquirer – China steps up online controls with new rule for bloggers
- Mind Matters – For Five Days There Was Free Expression in China