As China’s tea farmers look to coffee for more profits, the Los Angeles Times reports the Yunnan provincial government plans to increase the production of coffee to 200,000 tons by 2020: “My sole income depends on...
by Sophie Beach | Jan 17, 2009
The New York Times looks at the impact in Menghai County, Yunnan Province, of the collapse of the pu’er tea market: A pleasantly aromatic beverage that promoters claim reduces cholesterol and cures hangovers, Pu’er became...
by Max Woodworth | Oct 29, 2005
From The Times of India: A bizarre but fashionable concoction of Scotch and green tea in an economically resurgent China has driven the sale of the finest whiskies of Scotland to an all-time high. Traditional Scotch dealers didn’t ever imagine their drink would be put to such use, but they are not complaining, not after […]
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods