Licensed to operate in mainland China earlier this year, the auction house Christie’s has...
the Summer Palace
Jun 28, 2013
Two ancient bronze animal head sculptures looted from the Summer Palace during the Second Opium War were returned to China in accordance with the offer businessman François-Henri Pinault made during his visit to the country...
Apr 28, 2013
Two zodiac sculptures stolen from the Old Summer Palace by British and French troops in 1860 will return to China later this year. The animal heads, cast in the mid-18th Century, inspired a set of replicas by artist Ai Weiwei...
Dec 17, 2010
The Summer Palace in Winter, by Philip Barnaart
Apr 12, 2005
From China Daily Online: It’s not proving to be a good year so far for the Old Summer Palace in northwestern Beijing. First, lakes at the key tourist destination were covered with plastic covering aimed at preventing water seeping away. That outraged environmentalists who said the underground water supply will suffer.
CDT in the News
- RFA – Chinese censors delete news report probing return of COVID tracking
- China Brief – Much Cause But Little Recourse For Popular Discontent
- Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) – Young people living in and outside China fight to keep spirit of ‘white paper’ protests alive
- ASPI – Singing from the CCP’s songsheet: The role of foreign influencers in China’s propaganda system
- Lacuna Magazine – Redacted Fantasy: China’s Dystopian Censorship of Online Fiction