At Think Africa Press, James Wan reports that 200,000 Ugandans have signed up for a company which...
Mar 18, 2012
A common theme in Chinese netizens’ reactions to news from abroad is introspection, with stories often becoming lenses through which to view Chinese issues. The 2011 Japan quake prompted musings on Chinese nationalism and...
Oct 1, 2009
Despite recent setbacks, China is persevering in its efforts to secure major oil deals in Africa. From the Wall Street Journal: China state-owned CNOOC Ltd. (CEO) has become the latest company to enter talks with Uganda over a...
Mar 29, 2005
China’s economic clout in various African nations has been widely reported in recent years. But according to this Christian Science Monitor article, China is also exerting a powerful political influence in countries such as Zimbabwe: China is increasingly making its presence felt on the continent – from building roads in Kenya and Rwanda to increasing […]
CDT in the News
- NPHR – Chinese authorities remain committed to ‘zero COVID’ lockdown policy
- SupChina – 50 days in Shanghai lockdown
- Rest of World – In China, fleeting “cyber protests” leave behind fragile memories
- The Diplomat – China’s Censors Aim to Contain Dissent During Harsh COVID-19 Lockdowns
- The Washington Post – China shuts down talk of covid hardship; users strike back