In a major address marking the 40th anniversary of the CCP’s first Taiwan policy statement,...
by Scott Greene | Dec 4, 2011
The Wall Street Journal’s China Realtime Report notes the lack of fireworks during Saturday’s televised presidential debate in Taiwan, the first of three ahead of the election in January 2012, as the three candidates...
by Mo Ming | Sep 13, 2006
From Financial Times: A food company from Taiwan, the self-governing island threatened with invasion if it declares formal independence from China, was on Wednesday named as the exclusive supplier of instant noodles to the 2008 Beijing Olympics. Uni-President, the island’s biggest food company, is the first Taiwanese-owned company to be named as a sponsor of […]
by Michael Zhao | May 29, 2006
From Migratory Fool’s blog (link): This is a line chart illustrating Taiwanese opinions on independece/unification/status quo.
by Xiao Qiang | Nov 28, 2005
From The Madman of Chu blog: “[E]ven China becoming a democracy would [not] entice Taiwan into the Chinese political embrace. One, and only one thing will create ‘peaceful’ union between China and Taiwan: the Taiwanese belief that China is willing to commit murder and mayhem on an island-wide scale, coupled with the calculation that they […]
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods