In Dissent Magazine, Jeffrey Wasserstrom interviews political scientists Dorothy Solinger and Mark...
by Samuel Wade | Sep 15, 2014
South China Morning Post’s Li Jing reports that residents in parts of Beijing have drilled...
by Grace | Jun 17, 2013
As Beijing plans to move hundreds of millions into China’s cities, Tom Phillips reports from Lanzhou New Area, a new city under construction in Gansu province for which 700 mountains were condemned to be flattened: Its...
by Scott Greene | May 6, 2013
Patrick Boehler of the South China Morning Post reports that new research by the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences showed that conservatives outnumber liberals in Chinese cities: Some 38.1 per cent of those surveyed held more...
by Samuel Wade | Jan 20, 2011
Beijing authorities have announced a variety of measures for managing the city’s expanding population, in accordance with the 12th Five-Year Plan. In addition to limiting the influx of migrants which has driven the...
by Xiao Qiang | Dec 17, 2005
From The People’s Daily Online: China’s urban population is expected to reach 560 million by the end of this year, up 7 percent from the figure five years ago, China Daily reports Saturday. About 43 percent of China’s population will be living in urban areas, the paper quoted Zheng Xinli, deputy director of the Policy […]
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods