China’s State Administration for Religious Affairs has ordered an investigation of instructions to tear down buildings at a Buddhist temple complex in Xi’an. The controversial demolitions were ordered in preparation...
world heritage sites
by Sophie Beach | Mar 12, 2008
The Guardian reports that Chinese authorities are trying to get sacred Wutai Mountain (五台山） named as a world heritage site, and in the process they are destroying the historic homes of the region’s residents. And the...
by Sophia Cao | Aug 5, 2006
From Xinhua News Agency via China Net: China and central Asian countries on Friday made a blueprint to jointly apply for listing of historical sites along the ancient Silk Road (‰∏ùÁª∏‰πãË∑Ø) in UNESCO‘s world cultural heritage list in the next three to five years. The 2,000-year-old Silk Road was mainly a trade route linking Asia […]
by Sophie Beach | May 2, 2005
From the Standard: The idea of “money first, everything else second” now appears to have affected nearly everyone on the mainland. So don’t be surprised or upset when you find you have to pay a whole lot more for a ticket to visit a World Heritage site in China – or to discover that designation […]
CDT in the News
- Human Rights Watch – Chinese Cyber Legend Vanishes, Raising Concerns
- PRI The World – Front row seat at China’s 100th anniversary celebrations
- Mind Matters – Chinese Communist Party: 100 Years of Erasing, Rewriting History
- The Jamestown Foundation – The 2021 Party History Study Campaign Stresses Revolution and Sacrifice
- FT – Exporting Chinese surveillance: the security risks of ‘smart cities’