The Chinese government has defended their veto of the U.N. Security Council resolution calling on Syria’s President Bashar al-Assad to step down in the wake of escalating violence in the country. Other governments and observers around the world have condemned the decision by China and Russia to halt the international effort to rein in Assad’s regime. From Reuters:
The Arab League chief said on Monday that Russia and China had lost diplomatic credit in the Arab world by vetoing a U.N. resolution on Syria and may have sent a message to Damascus that it had a free hand to crack down on protests.
But Nabil Elaraby said he would continue working with Moscow and Beijing and other U.N. Security Council members to end the violence that spiked on Monday with the bombardment of the Syrian city of Homs, which activists said killed 50 people.
Elaraby told Reuters the veto had been a “reality check” for Syria’s opposition groups, who have so far refused the League’s call to engage with President Bashar al-Assad’s government, showing them that it was not Arabs blocking tougher action on Damascus but rather world powers who were not united.
And from BBC:
UK Foreign Secretary William Hague has said China and Russia will be “held responsible” for violence in Syria after vetoing a UN resolution condemning government repression.
He said the countries were making a “great mistake” which would damage their standing in the Middle East.
The document was rejected hours after activists accused troops of killing at least 55 people in the city of Homs.
Human Rights Watch also issued a statement against the veto:
“After weeks of Russian diplomatic games-playing and in the middle of a bloodbath in Homs, vetoes by Moscow and Beijing are simply incendiary,” said Philippe Bolopion, UN director at Human...
« Back to Article