An outbreak of cholera on Hainan Island has resulted in over 50 confirmed cholera cases. East, South, West, North has translated the blog of a female student at Hainan University. She writes about her experience under cholera...Read More
Claire Kells is a graduate student at Columbia University's School of International and Public Affairs. She is concentrating in Human Rights as well as learning Mandarin.
Posted by Claire Kells | Oct 22, 2008
Jeremy Goldkorn at Danwei published an interview with the founder and contributors of chinaSMACK. china SMACK offers a look at “Hot internet stories, pictures, & videos in China. What’s popular, scandalous, or...Read More
Posted by Claire Kells | Sep 23, 2008
The New York Times reports on the success of langur monkey conservation in the Nongguan Nature Reserve in Chongzuo, Guangxi Province: As the langurs traverse a towering karst peak in a setting out of a Chinese landscape...Read More
Posted by Claire Kells | Sep 16, 2008
Michael Meyer, author of The Last Days of Old Beijing, reviews The Corpse Walker by Liao Yiwu in The New York Times Sunday Book Review: Often in China a phone call wakes me: a voice from the provinces wondering how things are in...Read More
Posted by Claire Kells | Sep 15, 2008
Xinhua reports on changes in China’s monetary policy announced over the weekend, coinciding with news of bankruptcy filings by Lehman Brothers and the sale of Merrill Lynch, both New York based investment banks:...Read More
CDT in the News
- The Philadelphia Inquirer – China steps up online controls with new rule for bloggers
- Mind Matters – For Five Days There Was Free Expression in China
- Hoover Institution – Xiao Qiang On China’s Model Of Digital Authoritarianism
- New York Times – In China, an App Offered Space for Debate. Then the Censors Came.
- Taiwan CNA – China blocks Clubhouse, official media say “anti-China has nothing to do with free speech”