The New York Times reviews a new book by Zhang Lijia: Lijia Zhang is a child of the 1980s. In “
Apr 9, 2008
What lessons can be learned from the more than 50 country boycott of the Moscow Olympic Games of 1980? The protest movement was led by American President Jimmy Carter to punish the Soviets for invading Afghanistan, but the...
Oct 12, 2007
Here are a series of old photos that capture the lives, people and items of the era of 1980s, when China was just opening up and taking off economically. Photos via focus.com.cn forum.
May 22, 2006
From Chinese BBS Wenxue City, via ESWN (link): The first large female beauty advertisement board in Beijing. (1970, intersection of Shatan Street)
CDT in the News
- U.C. San Diego, 21st Century China Center – The Party Remakes China: What to Watch for After the 20th Party Congress
- NYT – China’s ‘Absurd’ Covid Propaganda Stirs Rebellion
- The Economist – The Prince: Searching for Xi Jinping
- FP – China’s War on History Is Growing
- Coda Story newsletter – Chinese censors working overtime to silence dissent on zero-Covid lockdowns in Xinjiang and Tibet