From Bo Xilai’s dramatic fall from power, to Chen Guangcheng’s daring escape to the U.S. Embassy, to numerous sordid sex scandals, 2012 has been an incredibly eventful year in China. China’s 500 million netizens have provided a...
Dec 25, 2012
Where did the major news events occur in China this year? And where was China's influence felt most acutely overseas? China Digital Times has put together a Google Map marking the locations of some of China's major...
Dec 3, 2012
At The New Yorker, Evan Osnos suggests that 2012 may have marked a turning point in the erosion of accepted myths about China. Ten, he says, have collapsed over the past year: myths about government efficiency, a hard landing,...
Jan 9, 2012
The Diplomat has published an outline of twelve key challenges facing China in 2012, when it expects economic and social issues and questions over the looming leadership transition to reverberate both at home and abroad: 1) The...
CDT in the News
- Journal of Contemporary China – Invented Borders: The Tension Between Grassroots Patriotism and State-led Patriotic Campaigns in China
- NYT – A Tiananmen Square Musical Worries About China’s Glare
- Global Voices – In China, questions remain ahead of Huawei’s launch of the Mate 60 phone series
- Rest of World – Heavily persecuted, highly influential: China’s online feminist revolution
- Sky News – Chinese state media appears to censor one of its own videos