A series of recent reports from think tanks in Europe, Taiwan, and the U.S. have highlighted the extent of China’s influence in other countries. Using a variety of metrics and case studies, the reports map malign influence,...
Dec 3, 2021
This week concluded the 2021 meeting of the Forum on China-Africa Cooperation (FOCAC). Hosted this time in Dakar, Senegal, the triennial summit has historically brought together Chinese and African heads of state in a public...
Apr 6, 2011
China is already a big investor in Africa. In a move that anticipates even greater amounts of Chinese investment, prominent African bank Ecobank plans will launch a “China desk” on April 11th. Pan-African bank,...
China in Africa Round-up 07.22: Booming Business in Angola, Elephant Poaching, and Hui Li, the” Chinese Schweitzer”, African Traders Rebuffed
Jul 22, 2008
Angola’s Business is Booming with China While the exact loan amounts are unknown, media reports have indicated Angola has taken between $4bn and $11bn in loans from China in recent years. Trade between the two nations is...
Feb 10, 2008
In an analysis for Inter Press Service, John Vandaele suggests that ,in contrast to Europe’s colonial history in Africa, China’s thirst for natural resources (leading to a major Sino-Congolese deal of US$12 billion of...
Dec 17, 2007
Just as China is being praised for moving from a recipient of World Bank aid to a donor, the World Bank president has expressed concern about China’s loan programs to Africa (while also acknowledging that the World Bank will cooperate with a Chinese bank on an Africa-based project next year). From Forbes: China is investing […]
CDT in the News
- MIT Technology Review – Now China wants to censor online comments
- The Globe and Mail – Shanghai leaves lockdown after two months, but ‘zero COVID’ policy remains
- WION – Shanghai residents spent 2 months ‘locked’ up, but China bans media from calling it a ‘lockdown’
- The Independent – Shanghai prohibits media from using the term ‘lockdown’
- Guardian – Shanghai reportedly bans media use of the term ‘lockdown’ as lockdown ends