A Canadian artist fears that work he sent for an exhibition in Beijing is now lost, but it is...
Oct 29, 2013
At China Real Time, Chuin-Wei Yap notes trending tributes on Sina Weibo to rock musician Lou Reed,...
Dec 18, 2012
Speculation that China’s incoming leaders would sweep Mao’s remains from the political stage turned out to be ill-founded, but the Chairman will be missing from a touring Andy Warhol exhibition when it reaches the...
Aug 3, 2008
New York Times’ art critic Holland Cotter continues his tour of China with a visit to Mao’s mausoleum: As we pass Mao’s bier I think, “So, this was God.” I try to focus on his face, and I get a vague sense of...
Jul 8, 2006
From The New York Times: In 1971 Andy Warhol is said to have made the deadpan observation that “since fashion is art now, and Chinese is in fashion, I could make a lot of money.” A year later he produced a series of 10 large hand-painted and silk-screened canvases of Mao with such bright brushstrokes […]
CDT in the News
- RFA – Chinese censors delete news report probing return of COVID tracking
- China Brief – Much Cause But Little Recourse For Popular Discontent
- Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) – Young people living in and outside China fight to keep spirit of ‘white paper’ protests alive
- ASPI – Singing from the CCP’s songsheet: The role of foreign influencers in China’s propaganda system
- Lacuna Magazine – Redacted Fantasy: China’s Dystopian Censorship of Online Fiction