New reports suggest that China has dramatically curtailed lending towards the Belt and Road Initiative, Xi Jinping’s flagship global infrastructure and trade program. First proposed in 2013, the BRI is a trillion-dollar...
by Joseph Brouwer | Nov 12, 2020
In a whiplash sequence of events, Brazilian regulators suspended and then resumed trials of a Chinese-developed coronavirus vaccine after the sudden death of a trial participant, later discovered to be a suicide. Vaccines...
by Josh Rudolph | Mar 24, 2020
For nearly three months, Chinese authorities have relied on censorship and propaganda to control the domestic narrative about the COVID-19 novel epidemic. In an attempt to keep the populace calm, early cases in Wuhan were...
by Josh Rudolph | Apr 18, 2018
Xi Jinping’s Belt and Road Initiative, a trillion dollar-plus, 65-nation trade and...
by Cindy | Mar 16, 2015
At The Wall Street Journal, Robert Wall and Doug Cameron report that China has surpassed Germany...
by Xiao Qiang | Dec 3, 2008
Where Are Chinese Internet Police Being Trained? This inetcop.com.cn website has the answer. The following is from the Xiamen Meiah Pico IT CO., Ltd. website, translated by CDT’s Lucy Lin: On July 30, 2004, the Ministry of...
by Sophie Beach | Apr 27, 2005
From the Jamestown Foundation’s China Brief, via Asia Media: In keeping with its economic expansion, China has deepened its strategic influence in the region, especially with India’s immediate neighbors – Bangladesh, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka. Beijing has long kept a close strategic partnership with Islamabad, but its overtures to the remaining countries were hobbled […]
CDT in the News
- FT – Exporting Chinese surveillance: the security risks of ‘smart cities’
- The Jamestown Foundation – Chinese Leaders Project Confidence in Self-Sufficiency Amid Post-Pandemic Food Security Concerns
- Protocol – Censored word lists are ‘proprietary assets’ for Chinese big tech
- What’s On Weibo – The Disappearing Emoji on Weibo in Light of June 4
- Clearance Jobs – Biden Tasks Intelligence Community to Answer Wuhan Questions