China’s “zero-Covid” policy relies heavily on mobile phone apps that display a health code in one of three “traffic light” colors: red, yellow, or green. Users install the apps via WeChat or Alipay, enter their...
Nov 26, 2021
As the third year of the COVID-19 pandemic approaches, China continues to adhere to a stringent “zero-COVID” policy, long after many other nations (including Australia, Singapore, and New Zealand) have abandoned their...
Better Living through Algorithm Regulation: Less Exploitation and Profit-Seeking, More “Mainstream Values” and “Positive Energy”
Oct 5, 2021
The latest target in the Chinese government’s regulatory blitz against big tech is algorithms. Last week, a host of ministries announced a new plan to introduce the world’s first comprehensive, nationwide regulatory system for...
CDT in the News
- NPHR – Chinese authorities remain committed to ‘zero COVID’ lockdown policy
- SupChina – 50 days in Shanghai lockdown
- Rest of World – In China, fleeting “cyber protests” leave behind fragile memories
- The Diplomat – China’s Censors Aim to Contain Dissent During Harsh COVID-19 Lockdowns
- The Washington Post – China shuts down talk of covid hardship; users strike back