A video from Vox’s Joss Fong explains why the 6.1 magnitude earthquake in Yunnan this month...
by Samuel Wade | Sep 7, 2012
Two earthquakes in south-west China have killed at least 67 people (as of 1:02 a.m., local time) and forced more than 100,000 from their homes. Xinhua described the damage and initial relief efforts. Sixty-seven people have been...
by Samuel Wade | Jul 29, 2011
Shanghai has been stricken with a plague of exploding glass windows, as substandard materials, design and maintenance meet fierce summer heat. From Shanghai Daily last week: “Poor quality, improper design or installation...
by Morgan Figuers | Jul 5, 2008
The Chinese government has announced plans for rebuilding towns and cleaning up damage from the earthquake. From Xinhua: China’s State Council published on Friday guidelines on post-quake reconstruction, emphasizing house...
by Wu Nan | Nov 23, 2007
From China Rises: Living in China is like being in a laboratory and observing an experiment unfold. The speed of change in the physical surroundings, especially in cities like Beijing, has no parallel anywhere in the world, as far as I can tell. A modern gold rush is afoot here, and prospectors are arriving from […]
CDT in the News
- DW – Where is Jack Ma? The mainstream media keep slience
- FT – Beijing orders Chinese media to censor coverage of Alibaba probe
- China Heritage – China’s Virus of Lies in 2020
- VOA Chinese – Year 2020 in Review: Xi Jinping steps up crackdown on independent journalists with unprecedented intensity
- Rest of World – Waving goodbye to Weibo