China Central Television’s headquarters building is finally complete. 10 years after design approval and 8 years after construction began, China’s state-run television broadcaster is finally ready to set-up shop in...
by Paulina Hartono | Oct 29, 2009
After inspecting the badly burned portion of the CCTV complex, architects are giving the go-ahead for repairs. From Shai Oster at the Wall Street Journal: China plans to repair a tower gutted by fire eight months ago in the new...
by Sophie Beach | Feb 10, 2009
Authorities have now acknowledged that the devastating fire at the CCTV complex in Beijing, which killed one firefighter and injured several others, was caused by an illegal fireworks display set off by CCTV itself. The...
by Jenny Leung | Nov 27, 2008
With all the building going on in Beijing, the CCTV (China Central Television) station also has a new structure and a new nickname to go with it. Time’s The China Blog reports: Names, especially nicknames, pet names and...
by Wu Nan | Nov 10, 2007
A Beijing-based journalist and blogger, Simon Elegant, updated his observations on Beijing architecture. Via Time Magazine’s China blog: (Image of CCTV tower) I just wanted to point out that across the street from the CCTV tower is the new phase of the World Trade Center or Guomao, pretty much the first really big prestige project […]
CDT in the News
- The Philadelphia Inquirer – China steps up online controls with new rule for bloggers
- Mind Matters – For Five Days There Was Free Expression in China
- Hoover Institution – Xiao Qiang On China’s Model Of Digital Authoritarianism
- New York Times – In China, an App Offered Space for Debate. Then the Censors Came.
- Taiwan CNA – China blocks Clubhouse, official media say “anti-China has nothing to do with free speech”