At Marketplace, Rob Schmitz reports police obstruction and intimidation in Chengdu, where he was...
by Cindy | Jun 25, 2013
Following a series of anti-paraxylene (PX) demonstrations across China, including recent episodes in Kunming and Chengdu, People’s Daily declared on Monday that the petrochemical is no more carcinogenic than coffee. Li...
by Sophie Beach | May 14, 2013
Chinese netizens have recently discovered the public petition system on the White House website, and several petitions created by Chinese citizens have gone viral, notably one calling for an investigation of a 1994 poisoning...
by Sophie Beach | May 4, 2013
On Saturday, hundreds of people gathered in Kunming, Yunnan to protest plans by China National Petroleum Corporation to build a plant in a nearby town which would produce the hazardous chemical paraxylene (PX). From BBC: Some...
by Anne Henochowicz | Apr 29, 2013
As of April 29, the following search terms are blocked on Sina Weibo (not including the “search for user” function). The “Nine Gentlemen”: Nine activists were arrested last week after demanding that public servants disclose...
CDT in the News
- Hindustan Times – Chinese Communist party wing mocks India’s Covid crisis on social media
- POLITICO – Feminists thwarting China’s population goals
- Forum 2000 – Xiao Qiang: Digital authoritarianism in China undermines democratic values
- NYT – Women Are Battling China’s Angry Trolls. The Trolls Are Winning
- The Jamestown Foundation – Hong Kong Cracks Down on National Security Imperatives Amid Electoral Reforms