The ratio of non-performing loans on the balance sheets of Chinese banks declined in 2012, according to their latest earnings reports, but does that indicate an improving bill of health for the financial sector? A new Reuters...
China Banking Regulatory Commission
Mar 18, 2012
In a week dominated by the political drama surrounding the dismissal of embattled Chongqing party secretary Bo Xilai, speculation continued over possible monetary easing despite mixed messages from officials as they seek to...
Sep 26, 2008
As the U.S. credit crisis ripples through the world economy, Chinese news media and financial institutions alike appear to be taking a calming tone. From the China Daily: Investors are reeling after the main stock index took a...
May 27, 2008
From Bloomberg: China plans to make it easier for foreign banks such as HSBC Holdings Plc to set up rural operations as the government seeks to boost funding for farmers, said two people with knowledge of the matter. Overseas...
Jun 30, 2006
From Reuters: China’s banking regulator on Friday urged the country’s lenders to redouble efforts to strengthen internal controls and prevent scandals, renewing a call for better supervision following a series of fraud cases. “Although some achievements have been gained in addressing banking scandals since last year, the current situation in this regard is still very […]
CDT in the News
- Turquoise Roof – Weaponising Big Data: Decoding China’s Digital Surveillance in Tibet
- VOA – Chinese Netizens Criticize Government on US Embassy’s Weibo Post
- China Global South Project – What Do Namibian Giraffes Have To Do With the Chinese Economy? Ask Weibo
- Washington Post – As falling stocks draw criticism in China, censors struggle to keep up
- NYT – China’s Censorship Dragnet Targets Critics of the Economy