James McGregor, a businessman and former Wall Street Journal reporter who has spent more than 20 years in China, published a book last year about the dangers of China’s model of authoritarian capitalism. The domination of...
Jan 3, 2013
After a friend and fellow longtime China Hand in Beijing complained about the treatment of American companies in China, calling the shenanigans the worst he has ever seen, Forbes contributor Janet Carmosky asks “two...
Mar 3, 2010
In his new book, China Watcher: Confessions of a Peking Tom, Richard Baum, professor of political science at UCLA recounts his personal experiences over 40 years of involvement with China as an academic and policy advisor and...
Jan 22, 2006
From The San Francisco Chronicle: Westerners wise in the ways of China have long been referred to as “old China hands.” Now, there are “new China hands” — people savvy in the ways of doing business in a post-Maoist China. Old China hands were diplomats, soldiers and missionaries dispatched to China to look after Western […]
CDT in the News
- RFA – Chinese censors delete news report probing return of COVID tracking
- China Brief – Much Cause But Little Recourse For Popular Discontent
- Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) – Young people living in and outside China fight to keep spirit of ‘white paper’ protests alive
- ASPI – Singing from the CCP’s songsheet: The role of foreign influencers in China’s propaganda system
- Lacuna Magazine – Redacted Fantasy: China’s Dystopian Censorship of Online Fiction