China’s soft power initiatives are often derided by Western observers as ineffective or counterproductive. Over a hundred Confucius Institutes in the U.S. and Europe have been targeted as arms of the Chinese state and forced to...
Chinese language training
by Josh Rudolph | Dec 22, 2014
The BBC’s John Sudworth reports on an interview with Hanban head Xu Lin. Hanban is the...
by cschultz | Aug 29, 2009
From The Guardian: A Shanghai-based Irish entrepreneur is offering free Chinese language lessons online to every citizen of the Republic. Ken Carroll told the Observer that he decided to create a free online language learning...
by Michael Zhao | Apr 19, 2006
From AP via China Daily (link): Calling Chinese “an important tool for the rest of the world,” China’s education minister announced a plan Wednesday to help train hundreds of U.S. educators in the language. The initiative will bring more than 150 guest teachers to U.S. high schools from China and immerse nearly 600 American teachers […]
CDT in the News
- PBS Newshour – Examining the human toll of China’s stringent COVID policy
- Mind Matters – Peng Shuai Backtracks Her Accusations
- Global Times – Western media, anti-China forces use MeToo movement to incite gender antagonism: expert
- WSJ – China Fines Weibo for Spreading ‘Illegal Information’
- The Guardian – China’s troll king: how a tabloid editor became the voice of Chinese nationalism