China’s soft power initiatives are often derided by Western observers as ineffective or counterproductive. Over a hundred Confucius Institutes in the U.S. and Europe have been targeted as arms of the Chinese state and forced to...
Chinese language training
Dec 22, 2014
The BBC’s John Sudworth reports on an interview with Hanban head Xu Lin. Hanban is the...
Mar 16, 2012
Asia Society Director of Education and Chinese Language Initiatives Chris Livacarri chooses five books for The Browser. His picks include histories of China’s languages and its relationships with the outside world, and...
Aug 29, 2009
From The Guardian: A Shanghai-based Irish entrepreneur is offering free Chinese language lessons online to every citizen of the Republic. Ken Carroll told the Observer that he decided to create a free online language learning...
Apr 19, 2006
From AP via China Daily (link): Calling Chinese “an important tool for the rest of the world,” China’s education minister announced a plan Wednesday to help train hundreds of U.S. educators in the language. The initiative will bring more than 150 guest teachers to U.S. high schools from China and immerse nearly 600 American teachers […]
CDT in the News
- Turquoise Roof – Weaponising Big Data: Decoding China’s Digital Surveillance in Tibet
- VOA – Chinese Netizens Criticize Government on US Embassy’s Weibo Post
- China Global South Project – What Do Namibian Giraffes Have To Do With the Chinese Economy? Ask Weibo
- Washington Post – As falling stocks draw criticism in China, censors struggle to keep up
- NYT – China’s Censorship Dragnet Targets Critics of the Economy