Over the past two weeks, the Biden administration has issued a series of regulations intended to halt China’s development of advanced technologies. The measures restrict the export of advanced chips, design software, and...
Aug 1, 2022
The CCP’s long-running anti-corruption drive has found a new target: officials in charge of the country’s semiconductor industry. The highest Party and state investigative bodies simultaneously announced that Xiao Yaqing, the...
Sep 23, 2020
CDT has recently acquired and verified a collection of propaganda directives issued by central Party authorities to state media at the beginning of this year. These directives were issued on an almost daily basis in early 2020,...
Jan 14, 2020
U.S. measures against China’s burgeoning tech sector are set to continue despite an anticipated truce in the two countries’ ongoing trade war, The Wall Street Journal’s Bob Davis and Katy Stech Ferek reported...
Jan 30, 2015
Over the past year, Beijing has become ever more assertive in promoting “Internet...
May 1, 2006
From AP via the Los Angeles Times (link): In a five-story factory nearly the size of three football fields, technicians clad in spacesuit-like attire work around the clock producing silicon chips at Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. The company, the world’s largest contract chip maker, is a source of pride in Taiwan. It’s what people point […]
Oct 8, 2004
From Associated Press: “Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corp., a leading Chinese computer chip maker, plans to begin supplying chips using 90-nanometer technology to major clients such as Texas Instruments Inc. beginning next year, the companies said Friday. The plan marks a breakthrough in China’s acquisition of advanced technology. Beijing has long sought to nurture domestic semiconductor […]
CDT in the News
- South China Sea Chronicle Initiative (Vietnamese translation of CDT post)- Sự Bất Đối Xứng Trong Quan Hệ Nga-Trung Và Bên Hưởng Lợi
- Discourse Power – Jan. 23, 2023 Newsletter
- Sinocism newsletter (1/18/2023) – Xi’s Spring Festival video chat; Han Zheng to be the next VP?; Janet Yellen and Liu He meet; Wow mess
- The Economist (Drum Tower newsletter) – What our journalists are reading
- RFA – China slaps exit ban on wife of shuttered Shanghai political bookstore owner