At The Mediated Image, Oxford University’s Ros Holmes extensively examines the work of Chinese...
by Melissa M. Chan | Jan 29, 2013
Despite the recent slowdown of retail sales of luxury items, such as jewelry, Chinese men are driving the rebound in the luxury market. Men now account for more than half of luxury goods spending in China, but some claim that...
by Samuel Wade | Nov 1, 2012
While the rise of consumerism in China continues to attract attention, Monica Tan turns to the backlash against it. From Tea Leaf Nation: It’s happened all over the world, and it’s happening in China too. As the country’s middle...
by Sophie Beach | Jan 16, 2011
Following a recent “shopping spree” in Europe by Vice Premier Li Keqiang, Der Spiegel reports on how the Chinese government is planning to boost consumerism in the country: Shortly before his visit to Germany, Li...
by Sophie Beach | Oct 2, 2010
The Los Angeles Times goes toilet shopping with members of China’s upwardly mobile class: China’s housing boom has unleashed a bull market in fancy plumbing. No longer content with low-tech latrines, upwardly mobile...
CDT in the News
- The Philadelphia Inquirer – China steps up online controls with new rule for bloggers
- Mind Matters – For Five Days There Was Free Expression in China
- Hoover Institution – Xiao Qiang On China’s Model Of Digital Authoritarianism
- New York Times – In China, an App Offered Space for Debate. Then the Censors Came.
- Taiwan CNA – China blocks Clubhouse, official media say “anti-China has nothing to do with free speech”