The following censorship instructions, issued to the media by government authorities, have been...
May 25, 2009
From Bloomberg: China’s yuan posted its biggest decline in almost two months after the central bank lowered the reference rate by the most since December, spurring speculation policy makers will halt currency appreciation to aid...
Mar 29, 2009
From the Wall Street Journal: As if the dollar didn’t have enough problems, Timothy Geithner took China’s bait yesterday and said he was “quite open” to its suggestion this week to displace the greenback...
Jun 17, 2008
From BBC News: China’s yuan is at its strongest level against the dollar since the country scrapped its peg to the US currency in July 2005. The yuan rose to a high of 6.8918 per dollar – a gain of 20% since it...
Apr 10, 2008
From AP: China’s currency nudged past 7 yuan to the U.S. dollar Thursday, a milestone bound to please Beijing’s trading partners and dismay exporters struggling to remain competitive in overseas markets. Late in the...
Apr 29, 2005
From the Financial Times: China’s currency traded briefly outside its tightly controlled band on Friday, triggering a renewed wave of speculation that the government was preparing to allow a long-expected revaluation. The unexpected price move followed weeks of international pressure on China to allow the renminbi to appreciate. But the People’s Bank of China, the […]
CDT in the News
- South China Sea Chronicle Initiative (Vietnamese translation of CDT post)- Sự Bất Đối Xứng Trong Quan Hệ Nga-Trung Và Bên Hưởng Lợi
- Discourse Power – Jan. 23, 2023 Newsletter
- Sinocism newsletter (1/18/2023) – Xi’s Spring Festival video chat; Han Zheng to be the next VP?; Janet Yellen and Liu He meet; Wow mess
- The Economist (Drum Tower newsletter) – What our journalists are reading
- RFA – China slaps exit ban on wife of shuttered Shanghai political bookstore owner