Veteran China blog Danwei has announced its 2013 Model Workers—a valuable list of the best current...
by Samuel Wade | Jan 8, 2013
The heavy-handed rewriting of the Southern Weekly newspaper’s traditional New Year greeting has triggered a staff strike, a barrage of letters and petitions, and an upwelling of popular support both on- and offline. In the...
by Xiao Qiang | Jan 13, 2006
From Le Monde Diplomatique: China has moved into fourth position in the league table of world economies, but only a third of its population has access to the new temple of consumerism. The rural poor, internal imigrants and laid-off workers suffer worst from the gross new inequalities. Somewhere between the third and fourth ringroad in […]
by Xiao Qiang | Dec 23, 2005
From Danwei blog: What’s more convincing to the masses than propaganda out of Beijing? Discreetly massaged copy from the New York Times, evidently. The New York Times’ Howard W. French recently visited Korla, discovering that despite the oil boom in this “sleepy oasis” in Xinjiang, “not everyone is enjoying the benefits of the town’s new […]
CDT in the News
- FT – Exporting Chinese surveillance: the security risks of ‘smart cities’
- The Jamestown Foundation – Chinese Leaders Project Confidence in Self-Sufficiency Amid Post-Pandemic Food Security Concerns
- Protocol – Censored word lists are ‘proprietary assets’ for Chinese big tech
- What’s On Weibo – The Disappearing Emoji on Weibo in Light of June 4
- Clearance Jobs – Biden Tasks Intelligence Community to Answer Wuhan Questions