China has built 22,000 dams taller than 15 meters since the 1950s, displacing some 16 million...
May 8, 2013
At The New York Times, Andrew Jacobs reports environmentalists’ frustration with the decision to resume damming on southwest China’s Nu River. The new dams are expected to displace as many as 60,000 people locally,...
Jun 7, 2011
The Guardian’s Jonathan Watts assesses China’s recent environmental performance following the publication of the government’s annual “State of the Environment” report. He gives grades in areas from...
Feb 3, 2011
At the Guardian, Jonathan Watts looks back at environmental stories from the past year, including tigers, droughts, floods, traffic jams and oil spills. Also marked is the death of Liang Congjie, founder of China’s first...
Apr 14, 2008
Persistent drought in China’s northeast has led to a severe drinking-water shortage, from Reuters: A drought in China’s northeast Liaoning province has left nearly 700,000 people without drinking water after rainfall...
CDT in the News
- Sky News – Chinese state media appears to censor one of its own videos
- The Guardian – Chinese state media censors itself after highlighting poem about corrupt leaders
- ASPI Daily Tech and Cyber Digest – Meta’s ‘biggest single takedown’ removes Chinese influence campaign | Japan’s cyber security agency suffers months-long breach | FBI, partners dismantle Qakbot infrastructure
- Atlantic Council – Chinese discourse power: Capabilities and impact
- VOA – Chinese Social Media Platforms Fail to Control Racism Against Black People: Report