On Saturday, China officially withdrew from its role as the host of the 2023 Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Asian Cup. The quadrennial event, which brings together 24 national soccer teams from across Asia, was originally...
Apr 6, 2012
Ahead of next week’s Shanghai Grand Prix, Reuters reports that former Chinese karting champion Ma Qinghua has won a place on the Hispania Racing Team’s driver development programme, a step towards a possible future...
Jan 8, 2008
From BBC News: Shanghai’s ex-Formula One chief, who was jailed for corruption last week, intends to appeal against his sentence, his lawyer has said. Yu Zhifei, credited with bringing Formula One to China, was given four years in jail for embezzling funds from a football club he ran in the 1990s. His lawyer Zhang Tiefeng […]
Jan 3, 2008
From AFP: The man who helped bring Formula One racing to China was sentenced on Thursday to four years in jail, the latest casualty of a massive Shanghai corruption scandal, state press and a court official said. Yu Zhifei, 55, was sentenced after being found guilty of embezzling 1.05 million yuan (around 140,000 dollars) in […]
Sep 29, 2004
Edward Cody of Washington Post wrote this article on “Communist ideal lost to trappings of wealth, status.” “If any doubts remained that China has turned its back on socialist equality for the masses, they faded in exhaust fumes as Rubens Barrichello’s flaming red Ferrari F1 shrieked past the checkered flag before thousands of fans at […]
CDT in the News
- South China Sea Chronicle Initiative (Vietnamese translation of CDT post)- Sự Bất Đối Xứng Trong Quan Hệ Nga-Trung Và Bên Hưởng Lợi
- Discourse Power – Jan. 23, 2023 Newsletter
- Sinocism newsletter (1/18/2023) – Xi’s Spring Festival video chat; Han Zheng to be the next VP?; Janet Yellen and Liu He meet; Wow mess
- The Economist (Drum Tower newsletter) – What our journalists are reading
- RFA – China slaps exit ban on wife of shuttered Shanghai political bookstore owner