After reforming the nation’s one-child policy to a two-child policy in 2015, the Chinese...
by Samuel Wade | Nov 13, 2013
Days after reporting Bloomberg News’ alleged self-censorship of a story on financial...
by Liu Yong | Aug 3, 2009
From Telegraph: China’s one-child policy has produced a calamitous glut of men, but an increasing number of families are now hoping their only child is a girl. The country has 32 million more young men than women, a...
by Sophie Beach | Dec 4, 2006
From The Age: A wet nurse is a status symbol and young mothers are being lured by the promise of up to eight times their existing salary to breastfeed offspring of the rich. “At first I had my doubts, but the money convinced me,” said a wet nurse known as Madam Gu. “Now I earn […]
by Sophie Beach | May 18, 2005
From the Wall Street Journal, via post-gazette.com: “I don’t feel badly at all about going to work and not spending all my time with my son,” says Peggy Yu, co-founder of dangdang.com, China’s largest online retailer. “He has his life (in school), and I have my life.” It is a sentiment shared by many Chinese […]
CDT in the News
- Hindustan Times – Chinese Communist party wing mocks India’s Covid crisis on social media
- POLITICO – Feminists thwarting China’s population goals
- Forum 2000 – Xiao Qiang: Digital authoritarianism in China undermines democratic values
- NYT – Women Are Battling China’s Angry Trolls. The Trolls Are Winning
- The Jamestown Foundation – Hong Kong Cracks Down on National Security Imperatives Amid Electoral Reforms