On Chinese social media, outrage at Western clothing brands that expressed concern about forced labor in Xinjiang continued into its second day on Thursday. Throngs of influential figures have joined in the “Support...
by Joseph Brouwer | Mar 24, 2021
The clothing retailer H&M has been barraged by negative comments online, with some calling for a boycott, after the Communist Youth League’s Weibo account criticized the company for a months-old statement announcing it’s...
by Joseph Brouwer | Jan 29, 2021
Weibo users this week hurled ridicule at a call from the Chinese Ministry of Education’s to prevent the “feminization” of boys by encouraging schools to hire more male gym teachers. The Ministry of Education’s statement was a...
by Melissa M. Chan | Jan 29, 2013
Despite the recent slowdown of retail sales of luxury items, such as jewelry, Chinese men are driving the rebound in the luxury market. Men now account for more than half of luxury goods spending in China, but some claim that...
by Scott Greene | Dec 11, 2012
Clifford Coonan of The Independent catches up with Angelica Cheung, the editor of Vogue China, to discuss the challenges facing women in modern China and the secret behind the success of her magazine: Cheung believes the reason...
CDT in the News
- FT – Exporting Chinese surveillance: the security risks of ‘smart cities’
- The Jamestown Foundation – Chinese Leaders Project Confidence in Self-Sufficiency Amid Post-Pandemic Food Security Concerns
- Protocol – Censored word lists are ‘proprietary assets’ for Chinese big tech
- What’s On Weibo – The Disappearing Emoji on Weibo in Light of June 4
- Clearance Jobs – Biden Tasks Intelligence Community to Answer Wuhan Questions