After making history at the beginning of this month by becoming the first Asian woman to win best director for her movie “Nomadland,” Chloé Zhao was initially showered with praise from Chinese state media. That was...
by Samuel Wade | Aug 20, 2020
China’s cinemas have begun to recover from an 88%, 30 billion-yuan ticket sales crash triggered by the COVID-19 pandemic. Last month, reopening began in low-risk areas with mandatory masks and temperature checks, a ban on...
by Cindy | Jun 4, 2013
With China’s film market poised to surpass America’s as the world’s largest, efforts to please Chinese audiences have become standard protocol for Hollywood filmmakers. Rory Carroll reports at The Guardian:...
by Samuel Wade | Feb 24, 2013
While China may have finally scaled the highest pinnacle of international literary acclaim, no such triumph is on the cards atop tonight’s glittering pile of Oscars. Didi Kirsten Tatlow at IHT Rendezvous wonders why, when...
CDT in the News
- FT – Chinese censors take aim at former premier Wen Jiabao’s essay
- SCMP – US sharply criticises China in annual human rights review, the Biden administration’s first public assessment of Beijing’s record
- New York Times – How China’s Outrage Machine Kicked Up a Storm Over H&M
- HRW – People in China Left Wondering, ‘What Happened in Xinjiang?’
- The Philadelphia Inquirer – China steps up online controls with new rule for bloggers