An independent investigation released by the law firm WilmerHale on September 16 found that high ranking staff members at the World Bank rigged data in the 2018 and 2020 editions of its flagship “Doing Business” report in order...
by John Chan | Mar 25, 2021
On Chinese social media, outrage at Western clothing brands that expressed concern about forced labor in Xinjiang continued into its second day on Thursday. Throngs of influential figures have joined in the “Support...
by Sophie Beach | Oct 11, 2019
As the ongoing controversy with the NBA over a team general manager’s tweet in support of Hong Kong has laid bare, foreign corporations and other entities operating in China face an increasingly erratic environment, where...
by Samuel Wade | Mar 30, 2018
A string of reports this week have described foreign businesses’ preparations for and...
by Samuel Wade | Feb 21, 2018
Last month, German carmaker Daimler repeatedly apologized for hurting Chinese feelings, disavowing...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods