Over the weekend, an extended essay about Wuhan’s observation of the 2021 Qingming Festival (Tomb Sweeping Day) received considerable attention on Chinese social media. Weaving together painful memories from last...
by Natalie Ornell | Dec 8, 2013
News 24 reports that the Dalai Lama will not attend fellow Nobel Peace Prize laureate Nelson...
by Cindy | Jun 14, 2013
The death of Chen Xitong, the former mayor of Beijing who presided over the 1989 June 4th crackdown and was later jailed for corruption, prompted no official condolences and little public mourning. Chen’s funeral this week...
by Xiao Qiang | Aug 23, 2006
From BBC News: Five people have been detained in China for running striptease send-offs at funerals, state media say. The once-common events are held to boost the number of mourners, as large crowds are seen as a mark of honour. But the arrests, in the eastern province of Jiangsu, could signal the end of the […]
CDT in the News
- SCMP – US sharply criticises China in annual human rights review, the Biden administration’s first public assessment of Beijing’s record
- New York Times – How China’s Outrage Machine Kicked Up a Storm Over H&M
- HRW – People in China Left Wondering, ‘What Happened in Xinjiang?’
- The Philadelphia Inquirer – China steps up online controls with new rule for bloggers
- Mind Matters – For Five Days There Was Free Expression in China