Tsinghua University has fired Xu Zhangrun, a law professor and outspoken critic of Xi Jinping’s leadership, who was released on Sunday after six days in detention. Xu was suspended from teaching duties in August 2018 after...
Geremie R. Barmé
by Samuel Wade | May 12, 2019
Last week brought the 100th anniversary of the start of the May Fourth movement, a pivotal moment...
by Sophie Beach | Jan 29, 2010
For China Beat, Geremie R. Barmé puts Hillary Clinton’s recent remarks about Internet freedom in a historical context: Hillary Clinton’s recent speech on freedom of information and the Internet is a clear enunciation of...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods