In the New York Review of Books, Ian Johnson interviews Richard Madsen, a scholar on Chinese...
by Anne Henochowicz | May 20, 2013
Unlike the “Are you happy?” CCTV debacle of last fall, a survey on happiness released last week is unequivocal about China’s contentment. On May 16, People’s Daily published “The People’s Happy Chinese Dream: Index of the...
by Sandra Severdia | Apr 8, 2012
The following examples of censorship instructions, issued to the media and/or Internet companies by various central (and sometimes local) government authorities, have been leaked and distributed online. Chinese journalists and...
by Wu Nan | Oct 18, 2006
From Reuters: China’s top statistician was sacked after anti-corruption investigations implicated him in the Shanghai pension fund scandal, a spokesman for the National Bureau of Statistics (ÂõΩÂÆ∂ÁªüËÆ°Â±ÄÔºâsaid on Thursday. Qiu Xiaohua ÔºàÈÇ±ÊôìÂçéÔºâ– who announced a new “Happiness Index” this year to include living conditions, the environment and salary — was dismissed as chief of the […]
CDT in the News
- DW – Where is Jack Ma? The mainstream media keep slience
- FT – Beijing orders Chinese media to censor coverage of Alibaba probe
- China Heritage – China’s Virus of Lies in 2020
- VOA Chinese – Year 2020 in Review: Xi Jinping steps up crackdown on independent journalists with unprecedented intensity
- Rest of World – Waving goodbye to Weibo