ByteDance, the Chinese tech giant behind TikTok, is reportedly planning a 2022 Hong Kong initial public offering (IPO) just months after shelving a potential offshore listing in fear of punishment from Chinese regulators. The...
Hong Kong stock exchange
by John Chan | Nov 10, 2020
China’s market regulator has announced new rules to identify and stop monopolistic practices in the internet industry, in the latest move by Chinese officials to rein in the country’s burgeoning tech sector. In a...
by John Chan | Oct 29, 2020
Chinese financial services giant Ant Co. is set to go public next Thursday with record-breaking IPOs in Hong Kong and Shanghai. A financial technology business spun out from Alibaba, it is expected to raise at least $30 billion...
by Morgan Figuers | Aug 3, 2008
From Bloomberg: China Cosco Holdings Co., the world’s largest operator of iron-ore and coal ships, may join Hong Kong’s Hang Seng Index and sports-shoe maker Yue Yuen Industrial Ltd. may be removed as part of a...
by Liu Yong | Dec 8, 2007
From The Economist: By normal standards, investors in Chinese shares ought to be ecstatic. Over the past 12 months prices on the Hong Kong , Shanghai and Shenzhen stock exchanges have leapt by 45%, 83% and 132% respectively. This remarkable performance has been propelled by a convoy of new offerings — some genuine stockmarket debuts, […]
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods