New reports suggest that China has dramatically curtailed lending towards the Belt and Road Initiative, Xi Jinping’s flagship global infrastructure and trade program. First proposed in 2013, the BRI is a trillion-dollar...
by Joseph Brouwer | Nov 12, 2020
In a whiplash sequence of events, Brazilian regulators suspended and then resumed trials of a Chinese-developed coronavirus vaccine after the sudden death of a trial participant, later discovered to be a suicide. Vaccines...
by Josh Rudolph | Apr 18, 2018
Xi Jinping’s Belt and Road Initiative, a trillion dollar-plus, 65-nation trade and...
by Sophie Beach | Nov 9, 2010
As President Obama visits his boyhood home of Indonesia, the New York Times looks at the growing rivalry between the U.S. and China to influence the country: As the United States and China step up their rivalry in Southeast...
by Sophie Beach | May 1, 2010
Some leaders in Indonesia are preparing children for future business careers working with China by enforcing Mandarin classes in local schools. From the New York Times: In classrooms here, girls in white head scarves and boys in...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods