Wang Xiaoning is to be released from prison on Friday following a ten-year sentence for “inciting subversion of state power” in a series of online essays. Wang was one of around 60 people prosecuted on the basis of...
Apr 4, 2008
In a recent speech at Georgetown University, Yahoo’s Jerry Yang goes out of his way to assure peole the company had made a break with it’s pockmarked past of collaboration with Chinese Internet control efforts. From...
Nov 9, 2007
From RFA Unplugged blog: Yahoo’s chief executive Jerry Yang and executive vice president Michael Callahan faced a House Committee on Foreign Affairs hearing in Washington yesterday over providing misleading information to Congress last year as part of an investigation into the company’s role in disclosing former journalist and cyberdissident Shi Tao’s identity to Chinese authorities. […]
Nov 6, 2007
From AP: Yahoo Inc. Chief Executive Jerry Yang testified to lawmakers on Tuesday that the company has been “open and forthcoming” about its role in a Chinese government investigation that led in 2005 to a journalist’s imprisonment. “We have answered every question, provided every requested piece of information and worked with you in good faith,” […]
CDT in the News
- Mind Matters – Xi’an Lockdown: Beijing Continues to Pursue “Zero-Covid”
- News.com.au – China’s Covid zero policy is floundering against Omicron
- The Wire China – Open Source
- PBS Newshour – Examining the human toll of China’s stringent COVID policy
- Wainao – Hu Xijin’s retirement, the future after the “flattering era”