Film star Jet Li’s planned promotion of Tai Chi around the world, backed by Chinese Internet entrepreneur Jack Ma, is no mere business venture. Rather, it is an heroic attempt to boost China’s currently feeble...
by Zhaohua Li | Apr 21, 2008
‘The Forbidden Kingdom’ (功夫之王), the first collaboration between martial arts film legends Jet Li and Jackie Chan, appears to have a set a new record for a “Chinese” film. From Hollywood Today: It was the...
by Sophie Beach | Aug 20, 2007
Just as the chairman of China’s state-run movie studio called for more patriotism in movies, superstar Jet Li slammed government censorship of Hollywood movies: Writing on his website, the star said his 2000 hit Romeo Must Die was banned by censors for featuring gangsters. In 2001, Kiss of the Dragon was banned because Li’s character, […]
by Sophia Cao | Feb 10, 2007
From CRIENGLISH via Xinhua: Chinese action stars Jackie Chan and Jet Li will team up for the first time to star a new film inspired by legendary classical Chinese novel “Journey to the West (Ë•øÊ∏∏ËÆ∞)” written during the Ming Dynasty. According to investor Huayi Brothers Company, Jet Li and Jackie Chan will play two famous […]
CDT in the News
- SCMP – US sharply criticises China in annual human rights review, the Biden administration’s first public assessment of Beijing’s record
- New York Times – How China’s Outrage Machine Kicked Up a Storm Over H&M
- HRW – People in China Left Wondering, ‘What Happened in Xinjiang?’
- The Philadelphia Inquirer – China steps up online controls with new rule for bloggers
- Mind Matters – For Five Days There Was Free Expression in China