CDT has translated a selection of Chinese political jokes that have been making the rounds on social media. These jokes all poke fun at China’s so-called core socialist values, a set of 12 words used by the CCP to promote...
by Sophie Beach | Mar 15, 2012
The sacking of former Chongqing Party Secretary Bo Xilai has sent shockwaves through Chinese political circles. It has also dominated online conversations and quickly become the top trending topic on Sina Weibo, though posts are...
by Xiao Qiang | Feb 2, 2012
Facebook’s pending IPO is a hot topic in Chinese cyberspace, even though (or maybe because) Facebook is blocked inside the country. The following conversations and comments are translated from Sina Weibo: – A female...
by Kate Zhao | Dec 18, 2007
From ESWN: “If there is something that you don’t understand, just remember that this is China and you will understand!” The following list of ‘jokes’ was compiled by a Tianya netizen named Laome2018 (via Sohoxiaobao). These ‘jokes’ are not funny at all; in fact, they are solemn and dismal. But these are extraordinary times in […]
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods