People in China have long been familiar with the rural-urban dichotomy of China. But for many people outside China, there is also a dichotomy of ancient vs. modern China. This is true for Deanna Fei, a Chinese American writer...
May 6, 2010
Nothing is more horrifying and evil than purposefully slaying children in groups. Yet in China, five such crimes occurred across the country in the past 40 days. On March 23, eight elementary school students were killed by a...
Jun 30, 2009
It is just sad that Chinese people are seeing their lands, lakes, forests—that is, the physical body of the country—being destroyed piece by piece due to relentless industrial development, lack of environmental regulation and blind pursuit of profits at the price of long term significance of environmental protection.People around the world praise the beauty of their motherland as the common reason for themselves, and others, to love their country. Sadly, it seems that Chinese people are running out of beautiful places to boast and appreciate.
Apr 7, 2009
In setting up the new health care reform guideline, the Chinese government did the right thing by putting public interests before profit-making, and by striving for equality between rural and urban areas. Millions of Chinese...
Feb 10, 2009
Josie Liu reports on her China in Transition blog what the financial crisis looked like on the ground during a recent trip to China: Just by looking around, I couldn’t tell that the economic recession in the US had hit China...
Dec 14, 2007
[Editor’s note; Josie Liu is a journalist from China who once worked for the South China Morning Post and other newspapers in Beijing. She currently writes the “China in Transition” blog and will also be guest blogging for CDT.] Hong Kong director Peter Ho-Sun Chan’s newly released movie, The Warlords, has generated not only tens […]
CDT in the News
- South China Sea Chronicle Initiative (Vietnamese translation of CDT post)- Sự Bất Đối Xứng Trong Quan Hệ Nga-Trung Và Bên Hưởng Lợi
- Discourse Power – Jan. 23, 2023 Newsletter
- Sinocism newsletter (1/18/2023) – Xi’s Spring Festival video chat; Han Zheng to be the next VP?; Janet Yellen and Liu He meet; Wow mess
- The Economist (Drum Tower newsletter) – What our journalists are reading
- RFA – China slaps exit ban on wife of shuttered Shanghai political bookstore owner