In July, the Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague ruled against China’s claims to...
Dec 3, 2012
China saw 41 self-immolation protests against forced evictions between 2009 and 2011. One might expect that death would at least be the end of the problem; but not in Zhukou city in Henan province, where local authorities are...
Nov 7, 2009
In 2008, lawyer Liu Yao (刘尧) advocated for farmers whose land was being illegally requisitioned. A scuffle by the farmers at Lankou hydropower station, the site under construction on their property, landed Liu in jail. Tom...
Jan 19, 2008
A commentary translated by CDT from China Youth Daily: Shanghai plans to build a new town out of nowhere, well, actually in the sea. This project, situated at the north part of Hangzhou Bay, is expected to house 50,000-80,000 people on 65,000 square kilometers of reclaimed land. In 2006, Shanghai finished a “seashore new town” […]
CDT in the News
- Foreign Policy, China Brief – Zero-COVID nightmare
- The Globe and Mail – Locked-down Xinjiang residents face food and medicine shortages, as well as Chinese government censorship
- Czech News Agency (CTK) – Forum 2000 Conference Awards Chinese Journalist Zhang Zhan
- RadarOnline – China Unleashes ‘Comment Flooding’ To Tamp Down Social Chatter From Locked Down City
- WION – Covid lockdown: China censuring people’s pleas on social media amid food and medicine shortages