In July, the Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague ruled against China’s claims to...
Dec 3, 2012
China saw 41 self-immolation protests against forced evictions between 2009 and 2011. One might expect that death would at least be the end of the problem; but not in Zhukou city in Henan province, where local authorities are...
Nov 7, 2009
In 2008, lawyer Liu Yao (刘尧) advocated for farmers whose land was being illegally requisitioned. A scuffle by the farmers at Lankou hydropower station, the site under construction on their property, landed Liu in jail. Tom...
Jan 19, 2008
A commentary translated by CDT from China Youth Daily: Shanghai plans to build a new town out of nowhere, well, actually in the sea. This project, situated at the north part of Hangzhou Bay, is expected to house 50,000-80,000 people on 65,000 square kilometers of reclaimed land. In 2006, Shanghai finished a “seashore new town” […]
CDT in the News
- Journal of Contemporary China – Invented Borders: The Tension Between Grassroots Patriotism and State-led Patriotic Campaigns in China
- NYT – A Tiananmen Square Musical Worries About China’s Glare
- Global Voices – In China, questions remain ahead of Huawei’s launch of the Mate 60 phone series
- Rest of World – Heavily persecuted, highly influential: China’s online feminist revolution
- Sky News – Chinese state media appears to censor one of its own videos