As student and pro-democracy protesters have been calling for Beijing to allow the citizen...
Apr 19, 2013
After unexpectedly being invited to Margaret Thatcher’s funeral on Wednesday, journalist and historian Jonathan Mirsky recalled the four encounters that comprised his “little history” with the former prime...
Apr 11, 2013
The Chinese government expressed condolences this week for the death of former British prime minister Margaret Thatcher on Monday. Thatcher, said Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Hong Lei, “was a prominent stateswoman...
Jun 24, 2007
From today’s The AustralianÔºö China seriously considered invading Hong Kong in the middle of talks with Margaret Thatcher in 1982, a former top Chinese official has disclosed. The Chinese were ready to resort to “requisition by force” if the negotiations had set off unrest in the colony, said Lu Ping, who later headed negotiations with […]
CDT in the News
- Turquoise Roof – Weaponising Big Data: Decoding China’s Digital Surveillance in Tibet
- VOA – Chinese Netizens Criticize Government on US Embassy’s Weibo Post
- China Global South Project – What Do Namibian Giraffes Have To Do With the Chinese Economy? Ask Weibo
- Washington Post – As falling stocks draw criticism in China, censors struggle to keep up
- NYT – China’s Censorship Dragnet Targets Critics of the Economy