Editor’s Note: As we enter 2022, CDT has compiled a special series of features for our readers, offering a look back at the people, events, controversies, memes and sensitive words that defined the past year. Some of this...
by Josh Rudolph | May 21, 2018
Baozou Big News Events (暴走大事件), a “rage comic”-inspired Chinese internet variety show...
by Anne Henochowicz | Jul 30, 2015
The Word of the Week comes from the Grass-Mud Horse Lexicon, a glossary of terms created by...
by Anne Henochowicz | Dec 31, 2012
From Bo Xilai’s dramatic fall from power, to Chen Guangcheng’s daring escape to the U.S. Embassy, to numerous sordid sex scandals, 2012 has been an incredibly eventful year in China. China’s 500 million netizens have provided a...
by Josh Rudolph | May 5, 2012
The two major China stories of the past few months both began at outposts for U.S. diplomatic missions in China. In February, Wang Lijun went to the U.S. Consulate in Chengdu, the first chapter of the ongoing drama surrounding...
CDT in the News
- PBS Newshour – Examining the human toll of China’s stringent COVID policy
- Mind Matters – Peng Shuai Backtracks Her Accusations
- Global Times – Western media, anti-China forces use MeToo movement to incite gender antagonism: expert
- WSJ – China Fines Weibo for Spreading ‘Illegal Information’
- The Guardian – China’s troll king: how a tabloid editor became the voice of Chinese nationalism