“Voices of July” continues CDT’s monthly “Voices of …” collection of viral and censored audio-visual content from all over China. Inspired by the original audio-visual compilation “Voices of April,” which was the target of...
Aug 27, 2022
Are cadres the answer to China’s property market crunch? Some local officials seem to believe so. Hundreds of thousands of homebuyers across China have boycotted their mortgages payments in protest against the stalled...
Aug 8, 2022
“Voices of June” continues CDT’s monthly “Voices of …” collection of viral audio-visual content from pandemic lockdowns in Shanghai and other Chinese cities. Inspired by the original audio-visual compilation “Voices of April,”...
Jul 19, 2022
Over the past few weeks, tens of thousands of Chinese homebuyers have banded together and refused to continue paying mortgages on unfinished homes. Homebuyers in China frequently purchase “pre-sale” homes long before developers...
Oct 24, 2008
The economic slowdown is leaving new housing developments empty in China’s cities, complicating the government’s relief efforts, according to this report in the New York Times: Banking experts and economists expect...
Sep 29, 2007
From AP via Yahoo News: China has raised mortgage interest rates and increased the downpayment needed for loans to finance purchases of second homes in a move aimed at countering property speculation that is driving up prices. The widely expected moves were announced in notices seen Friday on the central bank’s Web site. Authorities have […]
Apr 2, 2005
From AP, via Business Week: The Bank of China revealed Saturday it fired a Beijing loan officer for his role in a mortgage loan scam three years ago that cost the bank some 645 million yuan (US$78 million; euro60 million), the government said. Xu Weilian, deputy chief of retail operations at one of the Bank […]
CDT in the News
- South China Sea Chronicle Initiative (Vietnamese translation of CDT post)- Sự Bất Đối Xứng Trong Quan Hệ Nga-Trung Và Bên Hưởng Lợi
- Discourse Power – Jan. 23, 2023 Newsletter
- Sinocism newsletter (1/18/2023) – Xi’s Spring Festival video chat; Han Zheng to be the next VP?; Janet Yellen and Liu He meet; Wow mess
- The Economist (Drum Tower newsletter) – What our journalists are reading
- RFA – China slaps exit ban on wife of shuttered Shanghai political bookstore owner