Effective last Thursday, the Chinese government has set new limits on the sale of foreign milk...
Nov 14, 2013
At South China Morning Post, Zhuang Pinghui reports that a growing number of pregnant women in...
Jul 13, 2013
A report on The World discusses the Chinese tradition called “zuo yue zi”, when women enter a month of bed rest with their babies after giving birth. Ruth Morris reports that in China’s expanding confinement...
Aug 7, 2012
Amid the controversy of forced abortions and China sending its first woman into space, women’s issues have once again become the focus of media attention. The Global Times reports 30 mothers staged a breast-feeding flash...
Oct 24, 2008
Maureen Fan of the Washington Post reports on Chinese views of breast-feeding and the impact of the milk scandal. Since China’s tainted milk scandal broke in September, killing at least four infants and sickening 54,000...
May 18, 2005
From the Wall Street Journal, via post-gazette.com: “I don’t feel badly at all about going to work and not spending all my time with my son,” says Peggy Yu, co-founder of dangdang.com, China’s largest online retailer. “He has his life (in school), and I have my life.” It is a sentiment shared by many Chinese […]
CDT in the News
- U.C. San Diego, 21st Century China Center – The Party Remakes China: What to Watch for After the 20th Party Congress
- NYT – China’s ‘Absurd’ Covid Propaganda Stirs Rebellion
- The Economist – The Prince: Searching for Xi Jinping
- FP – China’s War on History Is Growing
- Coda Story newsletter – Chinese censors working overtime to silence dissent on zero-Covid lockdowns in Xinjiang and Tibet