Disinformation linking Myanmar’s recent coup d’état to Chinese influence has inspired anti-China protests in the capital, Yangon. Protesters’ suspicions were inflamed by a meeting between Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi and...
by Joseph Brouwer | Dec 16, 2020
New reports suggest that China has dramatically curtailed lending towards the Belt and Road Initiative, Xi Jinping’s flagship global infrastructure and trade program. First proposed in 2013, the BRI is a trillion-dollar...
by Melissa M. Chan | Mar 11, 2012
After the suspension of a controversial dam project in late September of 2011, Beijing is now urging Myanmar’s government to restart the $3.6 billion Myitsone dam project, which was being built by a Chinese company. The...
by Samuel Wade | Sep 30, 2011
A controversial dam project on the Irrawaddy River has been suspended by Myanmar’s government. The Burma Rivers Network reported in July that the company behind the dam had ignored the findings of its own impact assessment...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods