While China’s longstanding ties with North Korea may be deteriorating, the government is...
North Korea trade
by Melissa M. Chan | Feb 17, 2013
According to Reuters, North Korea has told China that it is prepared to stage one or two more nuclear tests this year. This information emerged after China’s condemnation of North Korea’s underground nuclear tests....
by Sophie Beach | Oct 18, 2006
Der Spiegel reports on the potential implications for China-North Korea trade under the new sanctions against Pyongyang: Trucks wait in a rumbling line to cross the bridge over the Yalu River. They’re fully loaded as they cross the river into North Korea — the semi-trailers, though, tend to be empty on the return run back […]
by Sophie Beach | Feb 13, 2006
From UPI, via Monsters and Critics: U.S.-led financial sanctions against North Korea can hardly bear fruit without China`s participation and will only make the closed economy further depend on its robust neighbor, South Korean officials said Monday. North Korea has been increasingly dependent on China for its economic survival, which could weaken inter-Korean cooperation, the […]
CDT in the News
- The Philadelphia Inquirer – China steps up online controls with new rule for bloggers
- Mind Matters – For Five Days There Was Free Expression in China
- Hoover Institution – Xiao Qiang On China’s Model Of Digital Authoritarianism
- New York Times – In China, an App Offered Space for Debate. Then the Censors Came.
- Taiwan CNA – China blocks Clubhouse, official media say “anti-China has nothing to do with free speech”