While China’s longstanding ties with North Korea may be deteriorating, the government is...
North Korea trade
by Melissa M. Chan | Feb 17, 2013
According to Reuters, North Korea has told China that it is prepared to stage one or two more nuclear tests this year. This information emerged after China’s condemnation of North Korea’s underground nuclear tests....
by Sophie Beach | Oct 18, 2006
Der Spiegel reports on the potential implications for China-North Korea trade under the new sanctions against Pyongyang: Trucks wait in a rumbling line to cross the bridge over the Yalu River. They’re fully loaded as they cross the river into North Korea — the semi-trailers, though, tend to be empty on the return run back […]
by Sophie Beach | Feb 13, 2006
From UPI, via Monsters and Critics: U.S.-led financial sanctions against North Korea can hardly bear fruit without China`s participation and will only make the closed economy further depend on its robust neighbor, South Korean officials said Monday. North Korea has been increasingly dependent on China for its economic survival, which could weaken inter-Korean cooperation, the […]
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods