After a successful docking in space, China has now broken the country’s deepest dive record in the Mariana Trench. From Xinhua: China’s manned submersible, Jiaolong, made its fourth dive in the Mariana Trench on...
by Melissa M. Chan | Jun 12, 2012
As China plans to launch a manned spacecraft, they are also planning to send a manned submarine into the world’s deepest trench. Jiaolong, the submarine, has already been used to explore various terrains. Xinhua reports: The...
by Sophia Cao | Apr 9, 2007
From China Daily via Xinhua: China’s seas generated 2.09 trillion yuan ($270 billion), or just over 10 percent of gross domestic product (GDP) last year, according to a report on the country’s marine economy in 2006. The report, issued by the State Oceanic Administration (SOA), said last year’s output value of marine industries, including fishing, […]
by Xiao Qiang | Nov 24, 2005
Fron People’s Daily, via Press Interpreter, translated by Shirley Xiaobi Dong: China’s marine economy has maintained growth with great momentum in recent years. As disclosed by relevant authorities of the State Oceanographic Bureau, the added value of China’s marine industry for the year 2005 is expected to reach 4% of China’s GDP of the same […]
CDT in the News
- Hindustan Times – Chinese Communist party wing mocks India’s Covid crisis on social media
- POLITICO – Feminists thwarting China’s population goals
- Forum 2000 – Xiao Qiang: Digital authoritarianism in China undermines democratic values
- NYT – Women Are Battling China’s Angry Trolls. The Trolls Are Winning
- The Jamestown Foundation – Hong Kong Cracks Down on National Security Imperatives Amid Electoral Reforms